site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Finishing

First, I have to say big WAHOOOOOOOs to Lorelle and Kiki!!!!!! I've watched these ladies for the past four years (four years, next month, y'all! Happy anniversary!) pursue their dreams, get knocked down, bounce back up like one of those clown punching bags and go again. I cannot WAIT to see their books on the shelf. It's been a long tough road.

I realized this morning that, other than my Nano book, which needs a ton of revisions, I have not finished a book in 18 months. Before Nano, my last book was last year's GH finalist, Don't Look Back, which I finished before the deadline for the GH in 2005. And I know I finished it before I signed with my agent in early October.

I've been writing. I have 150 pages of one manuscript, which I set aside during Nano, and once Nano was over, I was writing a new book for a (now defunct) series that my critique group wanted to work on. I have about 100 pages of that one and an idea for a sequel. But even the allure of a new book isn't making me finish.

Maybe it's the disappointments of last year, the rounds of revisions, I don't know. But even setting deadlines for myself isn't enough. What does it take for you to finish a book?

3 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

eahkgtmp((Mary))
For me, it's been clearing my other obligations (I've said No to a lot of people lately--something I don't normally do), and getting into a daily routine with it. I am a creature of habit. At first, I was lucky to make three pages a day. My second week into this schedule, I've been averaging 7-8. I'm back into the characters and story. I think about it when I have to drive my daughter to ballet, etc. Also, seeing the "secret" episode follow-up on Oprah somehow clicked with me. What can I do today to reach that goal? Some days I write. If I can't write pages, I work on queries or do research.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Don't you think the first 150 pages is the fun part compared to the rest of the book? It's all hard, but every page into the book gets harder and harder. That's why you have to give yourself lots of credit and pats on the back for finishing all those books you've already finished.

Don't think about getting the book done, just sit down and start writing crap from 151 on and you'll have another book done before you know it.

ALSO, I don't know about you, but I already know that deadlines are going to be just what I need to pop those books out a little quicker. Last year, I had a book that was half way done and I was struggling with it, but once it was requested by an editor, I had no problem sitting down and getting the pages done...because I had someone waiting to read it. It was rejected, but still, I got it done in record time! And I will sell it some day.

Go, Mary!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I know what you mean, Mary. When I left the day job, I seem to have emotionally left behind deadlines. Keeping myself organized and disciplined has been a daily battle, and I suspect it will be that way for the rest of my life. I just have to keep fighting the battle.

It would likely make a huge difference to have an editor telling me something had to be on her desk by a certain time. Ebook publishers aren't as rigidly fixed to schedules as print publishers, I think. But in reality I am the one who is in control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]