site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Menu Planning 101

Menu Planning 101

Perhaps you thought I’ve been planning palate-tantalizing dinners for years. It’s what moms are supposed to do. Present a varied menu in thirty minutes or less, every night, while bringing home a breakfast meat of the pork variety, frying it up in a pan, and never letting our husbands forget they’re men.

Some moms have resorted to take out or spending more time in restaurants than in their kitchens not because they’re lazy as some people insinuate or incapable of putting a meal together, but, I suspect, out of sheer boredom with the same old meals. You know, the ones we make week in and week out—the only ones our families eat without complaining. The main dish rotation at my house: teriyaki chicken cutlets, broccoli chicken alfredo, chicken enchiladas, teriyaki pork loin, and an occasional pot roast, spaghetti or lasagna.

Long ago I gave up on innovation and settled for the benefits of an unvaried menu. And there are benefits: I shaved a total of 17.5 minutes from my grocery shopping excursions, leaving more time for those proverbial bon-bons (Aisle 9). I knew exactly where the store shelved everything we bought on a weekly basis.

But recently even those benefits could not overcome my boredom with what I was cooking. My tastebuds longed for excitement. So I cracked open the cookbook my mother gave me for Christmas in the hope that I would cook more for my poor husband who exaggerated about endless nights of soup, sandwiches, and canned chili because I was supposedly only cooking those favorite meals twice a week. Okay, so maybe I was cooking twice a week, but having grown up in a family of six people, when I made a meal, I made plenty. There’s nothing wrong with leftovers.

So I found a recipe in this Rachel Ray cookbook that I thought my family might like. Then I had to procure the ingredients, which I’m proud to say my local Kroger carried and which I found . . . eventually, adding at least a half an hour to the usual weekly excursion. I marinated the chicken breasts in fresh lemon juice, freshly chopped sage and thyme. Interestingly enough, the chopping noise brought my husband’s grandmother from her room; she was concerned someone was “a-poundin’ on the door.” I mashed potatoes, skins on like they do in restaurants. I sautéed pearl onions and green beans. I even made a sauce for the chicken with wine and chicken stock. The results? Daughter said the chicken had an odd flavor, and she picked the bits of skin from her mashed potatoes, but she ate it. She wouldn’t touch the beans because they were cooked with a little balsamic vinegar. Grandmother ate most of it, but tried to hide that she agreed with daughter about the potato skins in the mashed potatoes. The biggest shock? My husband poured the sauce on his chicken and on his potatoes. He ate seconds. He never likes sauces or gravies. He actually liked this new, dare I say, gourmet meal.

I had hoped they’d all give the dinner a thumb’s down so I could go back to the easy rotation that didn’t require planning and venturing into unknown territories like the fresh herb section of the produce department. Good thing there’s always great recipes in the Wet Noodle Posse e-zine, like Terry McLaughlin’s Valentine Dinner for Two. I’m not sure if I’m ready for a Bourguignonne sauce, but I have the feeling I’m going to need to add it to my expanding repertoire. Oh, and where do I find the Gorgonzola?

4 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Maureen, you have to look at some of my recipes on the Ezine, because I serve the dumbest meals in existence!

I do have favorites. Lipton makes packaged noodles and I like to prepare these with meat or poultry. Ground beef with the Garlic Shells, Chicken with the Tai Noodles. If you are feeding 4 you will probably have to make two packages. You can also add vegetables. My favorite is Italian green beans.

Total Prep and cooking time hovers around 15 minutes....

Bad thing is, I've overdosed the husband and he doesn't want this every night.
Bummer
Diane

Innocence and Impropriety by Diane Gaston in bookstores Mar 2007

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Karen said...

As a notorious not-a-cook, I rely heavily on my local grocery's roterissie chicken and pre-made sides. Nothing I could ever roast for an hour could possibly compare with that chicken. I even know a woman who uses it to make chicken salad.

Veggies? Try Beans with a Twist (I think they're Birdseye). Everyone will think you picked them fresh out of the garden!

Now, can we talk about dessert?

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I love all the different prepared meals in the frozen and deli sections of the store. :)

Trish, whose sister got all the Betty Crocker genes in our family

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Maureen, good job on the gourmet cooking! Too bad your husband liked it...because now he might want you to do it all the time! ha!

Diane, I'll have to try the Lipton packages. Sounds easy.

Karen, I love those pre-cooked chickens. I use them for chicken fajitas too. You just need the soft tortillas and some cheese and waala!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]