site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Birthday Meditations by Dr. Debra

Tuesday was my birthday, and I woke up feeling depressed. I did NOT like the idea of turning another year older. My age (which has now become a closely guarded secret) sounds so OLD. And I also felt discouraged about my writing career--something I’d been pursuing for years, gaining just enough success to keep me chasing the dream, but not achieving publication. In fact, I haven’t been writing much because of that discouragement.

I lay in bed and started my morning prayer and meditation time. I selected Richard Carlson’s, Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff, as my spiritual reading for the day and read a few pages. Then, I began to pray, including thoughts of my loved ones who have passed over--my two sets of grandparents and my father.

As I thought of my departed family, the most amazing thing happened. I received an “emotional vision” of my grandparents and my father, reflecting to me the love and joy they’d experienced on the day I was born. Their emotions flowed into my body, warm and welcoming. From each one, I received their individual excitement.

Part of their joy was that my mother had safely delivered, and I was healthy. However, a large amount of joy was because I was a girl.

My father had two brothers, and his eldest brother already had two boys. Everyone assumed that my dad would only be able to father sons. My parents even nicknamed me Olaf. My father was so proud and excited that I was a girl--the first (and only) girl in two generations--and his parents, my Bestafar and Bestamor (Norwegian for grandfather and grandmother) shared his feelings.

My mother’s parents, my Opa and Oma (German for grandfather and grandmother) were thrilled about the birth of their first grandchild. My grandmother, especially, was glad I was a girl, and she was ecstatic to be a grandmother.

As I lay there, feeling the love of my family and of God fill my heart, my feelings of depression vanished and my attitude towards my birthday turned around. I became grateful for the blessings of my close, loving family--a gift many people lack. From there it was an easy progression to thankfulness for my friends and for all the other blessings in my life. ☺

Debra Holland

4 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Debra, what a great story. How wonderful that you were able to envision all that love pouring in and then shift your mood that day. Good job. It's wonderful that they all wanted a girl to be born that day. Girls rock! :)

Theresa

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

What a perfect birthday present to give yourself, Debra!

Delle

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Amen, Debra! I've no doubt your grandparents and father are still loving you and found a way to show you when you needed them.
Diane

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger bridget said...

Debra, this is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your doubts and your dreams and your triumph with us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]