site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

Positive Attracts Positive

After spending an exhausting year in 2006 stressing about getting kids in college, colleges they never ended up going to, I had an epiphany about all the time I had wasted over the years, stressing over things I didn’t have any control over. For instance, my daughter graduated from high school last year and she was accepted into San Marcos State College in California. My husband and I spent three weekends in San Diego searching for a place for her to stay and taking tours of the college, etc. And then our daughter got a D in a science class. San Marcos said they had too many students without D’s that wanted to attend. She was out. I spent months being depressed, especially since the year before our son had returned from U of A after three short months, deciding he didn’t want to live in Arizona. Both my kids are now living at home and attending a junior college. Bottom line: I spent months stressing over stuff I had no control over. I couldn’t sleep at night and I cried a lot. Guess what I’ve learned? It wasn’t the end of the world. Both kids have jobs and both kids are taking classes and doing well. My daughter is playing basketball again and her team is going to the playoffs this weekend. Everybody is healthy. What was my problem?

January 1st of this year, I decided that this was going to be a great year, a “different” year from all the other 47 years before. I decided I was going to exercise five days a week and write every day from 9 to 3, no matter what. I was also going to be positive. I wasn’t going to sweat the small stuff OR the big stuff. If I have to drop something from my schedule, it’s the laundry, the cleaning, the cooking. Not the writing or exercising.

A few days ago, a friend dropped off a dvd of The Secret and I watched it twice…mesmerized by every word because I felt like I had been doing a lot of what the people on the dvd were telling me to do. I had already been thinking positive, and so to have this movie about positive energy come to my doorstep, just made sense. The Secret is about the laws of attraction and how negative energy attracts more negative energy and positive energy attracts more positive energy. It works. I can feel it. I’ve printed and decorated the walls in my bedroom with a publishing contract between myself and Avon Books. I also put up a picture of the body I would like to have, a RITA, a picture of the house I want to live in some day, a check for one million dollars—what the heck! I have made lists of goals and more importantly lists of things I’m grateful for. It’s very important that you be grateful for what you already have so that there is room in your life to receive more wonderful things. I now keep a list of things I’m grateful for next to my bed and I think about these things often during the day. Strange things were happening even before I watched The Secret. In the middle of January I had a journalist ask to interview me—ME, a struggling unpublished writer. They put me on the cover. What are the odds? Here’s the link. http://www.granitebayview.com/article/2007/2/1036

I can feel things happening. People are friendlier. Red lights are shorter. Parking spaces open up. I’m not kidding. Be grateful. Be positive. Positive really does attract positive. Believe it. Try it. It’s awesome.

6 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I love your positive approach, Theresa! It's true, we can talk ourselves out of success, and also true we can change our aporoach and change our chances. If it's what we want, surely it is worth the effort to go after it. The trick is in understanding what we want.

Delle

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Good point, Delle. You always make some really good points. A lot of people don't know what they want.

One of the best things about being positive is that if you can truly feel it and not just think it, you feel happier. And that alone makes being positive a big plus!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I think you're right, Theresa. And letting go of the things you can't change makes a huge difference in feeling good about the work you really do.

Delle

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
I've been taking a similar approach lately, and I've already seen the positive results--a positive response from an agent on an e-query, a royalty check for my short stories. I'm writing more, and I refuse to use any form of the word "try." I think that's the part of "the secret" that resonated most with me. Also, the thought I begin the day with--what can I do today to make this success happen?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I think I am going to have to get The Secret!
A version of this positive thinking worked for me right before I sold. I decided to think of everything that happened to me, writing-wise, as one step closer to selling. If I got a rejection, it meant I was one step closer, If I finaled in a contest or didn't final, it was one step closer. Well I did final in the 2003 Golden Heart and not only sold but won my treasured membership in the Wet Noodle Posse!

Diane

Innocence & Impropriety by Diane Gaston in bookstores March 2007

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

If you do see The Secret, Diane, there are some flaws in the DVD, but the main message works for me. I love your GH story! Like Maureen, I have already seen results. I might as well share this great quote I found too:

"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]