site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, July 02, 2007

The Month of Harry Potter

This is a huge month for those of us among the Harry Potter fandom. In a mere 10 days, the fifth movie in the franchise, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, hits theaters. I've just re-watched the first four movies to prepare for the Phoenix opening. Gradually, the movies have gotten darker and more intense as the threat of Lord Voldemort's return increases and as Harry, Ron and Hermione grow into their teenage years, with all the inherent angst that brings. Not only is there an exterior life-or-death threat to the entire wizarding world, but they're concerned with getting dates to dances and dealing with unrequited love. In Phoenix, Harry finally has his first kiss, with Cho Chang.

You can tell the darkness is increasing just by looking at a couple of the new movie posters.





And here's the international trailer, which has more shown than the U.S. trailer.




Then at the stroke of midnight on July 21, the last book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, goes on sale. This will be the first Harry book I've bought, having borrowed the rest from the library. But I don't want to risk waiting on the hold list at the library and somehow hearing the answer to the big question we're all waiting to have answered -- who will die? Author J.K. Rowling has said that two characters will die, and I'm nervous for Harry, Ron and Hermione. I've heard speculation that Hagrid and Snape might be on the chopping block, but you never know what might happen. There's also speculation that Harry has to die in order for Voldemort to be defeated, that Harry is a tragic hero. I just hope Ron and Hermione get together and don't die, and Harry and Ginny get back together and don't die. I just can't imagine the legions of fans wanting to see the seventh movie if any of the main trio are killed. Still, I've heard that a big bookstore chain in Britain has set up help lines for readers traumatized by the deaths in the book. That doesn't sound good.

So, are you a Harry fan? Will you be attending the parties at bookstores the night Deathly Hallows comes out? I think I might. It's a huge cultural event that's not likely to be repeated in my lifetime.

And what questions are you looking forward to getting the answers to when reading Deathly Hallows?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm looking forward to both the movie and the last book. The library where I work will receive embargoed copies of the book, probably a day or two before the release date, and it will be verrrrry hard for me not to look! I don't envy the big book stores, trying to keep out prying eyes.

You know, I think something else will take the place of the HP phenom, but I don't think it will have the same attention to quality as the movies and the later books. And, I'll miss the excitement of it, especially from the kids.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I know what you mean, Karen. This has been an incredible phenomenon, and I love how it's gotten kids excited about reading.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, you and I seem to be in the same boat. I'm also hoping R&H get together as well as H&G. I figure V must die, so that leaves only one character I have to worry about. At least, that's what I'm hoping. I already have my ticket to see OotP on July 11. My sister and I are going as a treat after she has her biopsy. We've also pre-ordered our books at a local bookstore, but no midnight thing for us. We'll pick them up early Saturday morning. It will also be the first time I purchase the book, as I've always borrowed my dad's copies. LOL! What a gift JK Rowling has given: kids are reading; adults are reading, and they're reading together!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I've never actually read the books, but I've listened to the fabulous performance by Jim Dale at least a half dozen times for each book (more for some). We are going to the B&N midnight party for the first time this year, as it's the last one and my daughter is as much a fan as I am. I'm also going to the midnight showing of the movie next Wednesday. :)

But I have to say, unfortunately, that you guys have misunderstood a bit. Jo didn't say only two characters die. She said that two characters she didn't originally plan to die do, and one she intended to die got a reprieve.

Those who have set up counseling aren't any more privy to the content of the book than the rest of us, so don't worry about that. The theme park stuff in Florida is a better hint, I think. Who's going to go to a theme park attraction about a kid who dies? And since Jo has been very involved in the plans for the park, I'm optimistic that Harry will make it.

I've already written my Thursday Thirteen for this week, which is 13 theories about the seventh book that I hate. :)

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Tawny said...

I love the HP books. Actually I just re-read the first 6 a couple weeks ago in anticipation of the 7th. Jumped the gun a little -- now I'm antsy to read the 7th!

I'll see the movie hopefully at the midnight showing before I leave for Nationals, and have the book reserved to pick up at midnight on the 21st. My daughter and I have a deal -I can read it first, as long as I give it to her by the time she wakes up that next morning LOL. I read the 6th book by 6am.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Natalie, you are such a wealth of Harry Potter knowledge. :) I'm glad you said that about the theme park -- what a good point. Go, Harry!

I'll be really interested to find out which character got the reprieve.

Wow, Tawny, you read fast! I wish I could read that fast. It'll probably take me the entire weekend to read the book, but I don't have anyone waiting on it. :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I have chills from that trailer!!!

The boy and I will be in line at midnight. We've done it every book since #3. He says I can read it first, since he still has to finish East of Eden.

I wanted to read Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince again before #7, but I don't think I have time!

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably not going to the release party. I haven't decided yet. I'm kindof not enthused for the book, because I don't want it to end. So I'm not sure I will read it right away. Even though I do want the answer to who RAB is. (Regulus Black? I hope so. I don't think he's dead - but that's a wild and wacky pet theory of mine.) And I want to know what's up with Snape. And I want to see if Draco is at all redeemed. He's actually the one I'm most worried about dying...

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Trish, it's called "obsession." :) Or passion, if you're feeling charitable. LOL

Tawny, that's amazing. I'd be tempted to see if I could do it, too. I'm competitive that way. But I'll be savoring the performance on audio, and though it will likely cause me to exercise a LOT more, and do more dishes so I can listen, it will be a week or more before I'm done, I'm sure.

Anon, that theory (about Regulus) is one I can DEFINITELY get behind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]