site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, July 30, 2007

A One Fox Day by Trish Morey

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I’ve blogged before about I love to walk in the mornings and count koalas and work out what kind of a day it’s going to be - one koala and the day’s going to be great, two and it will be fabulous, three and it will be brilliant?

Well, yesterday morning (the 30th here) I didn’t spy one single koala. But I did spy a fox! In a complete twist for us, it was the most brilliant sunny morning up here in the hills while down town was covered in dense fog. From the top of the hills all I could see was pillow after pillow of fog stretching out forever, completely obliterating the city and the plains below. Simply magic. And then walking up the dirt track I saw it. Standing stock still on the crest of a rise some distance ahead of me, at first I took it to be a dog someone was walking. I called out to my mutt, a total scaredy dog if ever there was one, and alerted the fox in the process. It took one look at me and disappeared silently through a fence and into the bush. And that’s when I noticed the tail!

I know they’re a pest and a curse on the land and to our animals, but it was beautiful animal. It certainly made my day.



Photo courtesy Qld Gov’t Environmental Protection Agency

4 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

It must have been the week for foxes, Trish, 'cuz I saw one at my mother's place in the country--on three separate days. On one occasion, he was practically in the back yard. He was hunting mice in the tall grass, and in the heat of the chase, almost leapt out onto the lawn. He's a beautiful creature, even if he did kill several cute little pups from the groundhog family that's taken up residence in the alfalfa field.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

Esri, foxes were introduced here in Oz by Brits fox hunting experience. Unfortunately, obviously a few foxes got away and decided that while they were here, they might as well breed. Successfully as it turned out.

So no, while we'd had dingos, we,d never had foxes until some bright spark thought it a good idea. Sometimes you'd just love to smack somebody in times past, wouldn't you?

And Norah, they are beautiful. No wonder we love alpha heroes! There's something so awesome about that immaculate hunter.

And one day I"m going to have to find out what the heck a ground hog is!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Trish, your post really brought back memories of early mornings on our farm when I was growing up. Foxes proliferated (all the henhouses in the area, I suspect!) and they used to run across our back garden after a night of marauding. By the way, did you know foxes absolutely love avocadoes? At least these ones did!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

Hey Anna, thanks for dropping by and no, I had no idea foxes loved avocadoes. Don't think they'd find many around here. Wonder if they like apples and cherries instead? lol

No koalas or foxes today. Instead a kangaroo grazing in the middle of a field. I love where I live!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]