site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The joys of a garlic press

I was reading this month's top 10 tips over at the e-zine, in which Colleen Gleason talks about easy ways to improve your cooking. Her great article really hit home. Especially since we cook nearly everything with a few cloves of garlic added in (no vampires here). The problem is that we don't use jarred chopped garlic because my cooking partner is against it (I am totally for it, a little jar already chopped? Bring it on). He always says, "We can just chop it ourselves, it doesn't take much longer." Well, I'll tell you, when I get hungry EVERYTHING takes too long. Enter in a little contraption called the garlic press. *insert angel's singing*

My cooking partner was a non-believer, and it took a gift from an outside party (my Mom) to make him use one. He loves that thing now. It halves the prep time and you can reload as needed. Just stick your clove into the press, crunch it together, and voila! Crushed garlic in your pan. We peel our cloves first, so that we can use everything, but no peeling is technically required. And it really does work. A quick rinse has the peeler ready to use again. And if someone ever breaks into your home, you can use it as a weapon. Seriously. I once used it to tenderize meat, before I had my little meat mallet.

Anyone else have something in the kitchen they deem indispensable? Something that they might have scoffed at previously? Or is there an herb you can't cook without? In addition to garlic, we put chilies in just about everything. ;)

4 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Anne,

Does tenderizing meat really improve the taste? I'll admit my idea of an indispensable kitchen item is a hefty stack of take-out menus, but I always thought that the tenderizing business was a myth made up by the mallet people.

That garlic press sounds awesome, though!!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

What is this...cook-ing? I do not understand the concept.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

I do love my garlic press, but it doesn't get much use anymore. Sadly, I've gone over to the dark side and use the stuff in the jars. Since I became an infrequent cook, whenever I went to use the garlic, it was either dried up or moldy. So as much as I love my garlic press, the stuff in the jars works for me.
Merrillee

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger bridget said...

ok, sign me up with the garlic press fanship. I *heart* zyliss garlic presses, and no that isn't one of Jennie's endorsement tie-ins.(wink, Jennie!) Merrillee,the trick is to also buy an itsy bitsy garlic basket to hang from your cabinet, which keeps garlic separate, dry and fresh for a long long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]