site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, September 21, 2007

My New Obsession

This week I bought three TV shows on DVD. I was hooked on Supernatural last September. I got the first disc from Blockbuster Online, got hooked on the combination of creepy and smart writing and went and bought the set. The second set just came out last week, and I’ve been revisiting my favorite show.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I bought Heroes for my son.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And I’d seen three episodes of Friday Night Lights a couple of Saturdays ago. I put the episodes in my queue, but it was a long wait. My local Blockbuster doesn’t have them, but Amazon was selling the entire first season for $20. A bargain! I ordered, and it got here Wednesday. I plan to dive in this weekend.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I recently completed my Buffy and Angel DVD collection, thanks to a sale at Best Buy. I’ve hooked my neighbors. This show I actually watched BEFORE I bought the DVDs, and I added as I could.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As with Friday Night Lights, only a handful of episodes got me hooked on Grey’s Anatomy, and like Friday Night Lights, it was a bargain at $20 (though only a few discs – FNL has 5). I won’t be buying Season 3, but I love Seasons 1 and 2 and even have some episodes on my iPod.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I bought seasons 5 and 6 of the Gilmore Girls when I found them on sale, because those were the highlights of the Luke/Lorelei romance, and I plan to watch those as I dive into my new book. I have season 1, too, and plan to add as I did with Buffy and Angel.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I bought Veronica Mars, also for $20, and still haven’t watched it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We bought the first season of Northern Exposure because we used to love that show (and who can resist the little parka it comes in?)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And I bought the first four seasons of Law and Order because I was writing RS. Research, you know. And yes, only the Chris Noth seasons.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My dh has his shows:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And the ds has his:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We’re turning into a regular Blockbuster.

Do you buy TV shows on DVD? Which ones do you have? Which ones do you want?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Blockbuster, indeed, Mary! I'm in awe.

I have not been bitten by the DVD bug. We have a DVD player and I tend to buy all my favorite movies, but rarely watch them. I have not, for example, even broken the shrink wrap for 300 and I've had it over a month.
(But don't tell anyone!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm fascinated by all this tv watching. I try to set aside time for NCIS on Tuesday night, and Without a Trace whenever they show it (it moves around a lot) but other than that, I only watch the news.

I've gone as long as three weeks before sending a NetFlix DVD back!

Still don't know why I don't get anything done at home, though. Can't blame it on tv!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer Shirk said...

I only have Seinfeld and The Simpsons. But I'd LOVE to have News Radio. (You can see the theme here) LOL!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

DH bought "Hardcastle & McCormick". We lean toward the old 80s shows and want to buy "Family Ties" and "Magnum PI". I'd like to get "Flipper" for the DD. And I'm an "A-Team" and original "Battlestar Galactic" fan, so will probably end up with those someday.

I want to buy "Soap" for my mom for Christmas... LOL... loved that show!

None of the new stuff tempts me as much as what I loved as a teen.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Charity Tahmaseb said...

It's driving me crazy that iTunes only offers season 3 of Veronica Mars. (Why? Does this make any sense to anyone?)

I may have to break down and buy the DVDs.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I want to buy Rome on DVD but I'm waiting for Target to drop the price. As much as I loved the first season, $80 is a bit rich for my blood. I do get a lot of TV shows through Netflix. I've also purchased Miami Vice for my mother who for years watched her poor VHS copies.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Everyone else in the house is more into buying series on DVD than I am. Son: Firefly, Rescue Me. Daughter: Trailer Park Boys. DH: sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond. They've also rented them. I tend to just rent movies and rarely buy anything, mainly because I rarely re-watch anything. But love your choices, Mary!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Diane, truth be told, two Gilmore Girls seasons are in wrappers, and so is Veronica Mars! And maybe one of the Law and Orders! (And I have had Shattered on Tivo for 3 weeks and haven't seen it!)

Karen, I've gone awhile with sending the DVDs back, too, and I don't see these shows as often as I'd like. I think part is just the comfort of knowing they're there!

Jennifer, a comedic gal, eh? My son would love The Simpsons. And yes, I LOVED News Radio! Back when Maura Tierney wasn't so angsty!

Marianne, I loved the original BSG, too, but can hardly watch it now. Would love Magnum, though. And sadly, Streets of San Francisco.

Charity, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the VM DVDs anyway? They're on sale at Amazon, like $25 - better than $2 an episode.

ROME! I saw the first disc, haven't seen the rest. I'm a bit cautious about watching those around the boy, but I was definitely impressed.

Norah, I'm a BIG rewatcher, and my son even more than I am. He comes home from school, gets his snack and House or Lost or Firefly and settles in. I think TV is a big relaxer in our family.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

My, these DVD selections look remarkably familiar. :) I have the Buffy and Angel collections (minus one season, I think), Supernatural season 1, Veronica Mars seasons 1 and 2 (watch the first one already!!), and I'll probably buy Road to Avonlea season 7 since, for whatever reason, doesn't have season 7. I can't watch the first six seasons and not the last one. I think that's all the TV shows I have on DVD. Everything else is movies.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

I have Veronica Mars S1 & S2 and all the Degrassi: The Next Generation DVDs released so far. My kids grew up watching Degrassi and I'm still hooked! My daughter has all of Sex and the City. Not sure how many that it is, but lots!

Trish, interesting that you mentioned Road to Avonlea. I have the two TV mini series, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea on VHS. It's about eight hours in total and every couple of years I set aside aside a day to curl up with a blanket and a box of Kleenex and watch them all, start to finish.

Interesting topic, Mary! It's ties in with my new blog, which I'm officially launching tomorrow.
http://thewritersideoflife.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]