site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Brothers


Since we are focusing on the men in our lives, I've decided to talk about my brothers. I have three younger brothers. I always wanted a sister and cried when my youngest brother was born because he wasn't a girl. But by the time I was a teenager, I realized what a blessing it was that he was a boy. I really enjoyed growing up with three brothers.

In the photo at the top I'm sandwiched between my youngest brother George and my oldest brother Greg. This photo was taken in George's retreat house in the woods in northeastern Washington State. I have two photos because it seems that all four of us are seldom together at the same time. We are spread across the country from corner to corner--Florida to Washington State and Texas in between. The bottom photo is of my brother Gary, his son Chase and me.

Growing up with brothers made for an interesting time. I attribute my love of sports to their influence. From the time they were very young they were involved in some kind of sport. During the summer we often had neighborhood baseball games in our yard. As they grew older, they developed an interest in golf and track. When I was in high school, they made their own pole vault pit in our back yard. They also made their own putting green that was really more brown than green. They participated in high school sports, but I rarely got to see them play because I was away at college during most of that time.

Unfortunately, I don't get to see my brothers that often these days, but when we get together, we have lots of fond memories.

Do you have brothers? Tell us about them.

Merrillee

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Merrillee,
My brother is the baby. My father felt Cort was much put-upon to have three older sisters. I think he was lucky. We spoiled him, my apologies to his wife. We kept him abreast of fashion and music, so that he was not a dork in high school. He played golf, soccer, and basketball, and went fishing as often as possible--perhaps to get away from us girls!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Judy said...

I have two older brothers and a younger brother. The oldest lives in another state, but I enjoy his company when he comes to visit. My younger brother and I fought over everything and anything but became quite close when I was a senior in high school and he was a freshman. Growing up in the house we did (boys are better than girls) it's a miracle we became and stayed friends. He came to be for advice about girls and wouldn't leave the house until I okayed his clothes, though I freely admit he has better fashion judgment, and he swears he learned it from me. In high school, he had a good mix of friends. I remember him going to the movies, him and eight girls. Somehow he managed to learn respect and what truly matters (people not things or degrees or money etc), and I'm obviously very proud of him. I enjoy his family (wife and two daughters), and look forward to their weekly visits.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I have two younger brothers, one 4 years younger and one 23 years younger! We all live within ten minutes of each other, but don't see each other nearly enough. When we do, we know how to have fun. I never laugh so much as I do with my brothers.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

Thanks, ladies, for sharing about your brothers. I enjoyed reading about them. I wish my brothers didn't live so far away. We're lucky to see each other once every two years or so.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh, gosh, Merrille. I could have almost written the first part of your post. I have 3 brothers and I cried when the youngest was brought home because I wanted a sister. A few differences in my situation are that I have 1 older brother and 2 younger brothers. The youngest is 8 years younger than me and the funny thing is that I am closest to him but I think that's because I was just getting out on my own when he was going through his teenage years and I helped to spoil him. My other 2 brothers don't live close so I don't see them nearly as often as I'd like.

Cheryl

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I like your post, Merrillee. I don't have any brothers, but I wish I did.

Love your pictures!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

MJ, sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your brothers...23 years younger???!!! Wow!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Yup, 23 years younger. I was already married when Mom called and said, "Guess what?" My other brother had just left for school, too, and they had an empty nest---but not for long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]