site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

My favorite TV dad

When the topic of favorite TV dads comes up, the names that are tossed out often tend to be from the shows of yesteryear -- Bill Cosby, Andy Taylor and Mike Brady among them. While my favorite TV dad is also from a show no longer on, it's much more recent. Keith Mars was the cool single dad of teen sleuth Veronica Mars. Part of what made the show wonderful was the special relationship between Veronica and her dad, who was a detective. Keith is very protective of Veronica, but not in an overbearing way. He even let Veronica help on some of his cases, but it was never anything too dangerous. He trusted her, joked with her, was as much a friend as a dad.

Veronica admires her dad and becomes a chip off the ol' block when she starts taking on her own cases, typically helping out her classmates at Neptune High.

I think the best way to illustrate the special relationship between Keith and Veronica is to let you see it for yourself:




So, who are your favorite TV dads and why?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

My favorite TV dad would be Heathcliff Huxtable on the Cosby Show because he never let his kids get away with anything and he had a great sense of humor.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger sarah said...

I love Keith Mars! I so miss the show - him being one of the big reasons!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Keri Mikulski said...

Hmm.. Remember MY TWO DADS?? I loved how they complimented each other. :)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Hi, Trish :-)! Believe it or not, I've actually watched a TV show lately! (For those of you who don't know--I haven't watched TV on a regular basis in years.)

Actually, I bought a few episodes, downloaded them, and watched them on my computer :-). Which doesn't exactly make me qualified to have a favorite TV dad, 'cause I haven't seen anything other than this new show.

But I've got one! He's the dad on my downloaded show: Rick Castle (played by Nathan Fillion) on Castle.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Emma Jay said...

As much as I love Keith Mars, I'm going with Terry on this one--love Rick Castle's relationship with his daughter.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Terry,
Imagine me hitting my head. Yes, Castle. Now why didn't I think of him? I love that show and the father daughter relationship is wonderful. I loved the episode where she had a date.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Mo, Cliff was a good dad. I watched that show all the time when it was on.

Sarah, another Keith fan! I miss Veronica and company too. :(

Keri, I do remember My Two Dads.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Terry, Emma and Mo, I LOVE Castle, and Rick Castle is a very cool dad. He's kind of in the same vein as Keith Mars, actually, only younger and a bit hipper. The conversations between these dads and their daughters are so much fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]