site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, June 08, 2009

The Men in My Life

by Lee McKenzie

Last month was all about sisterhood. This month I have an opportunity to celebrate the two very creative men in my life—my husband and my son. Both named Joe.

My husband and I met in college thirty-five years ago, and several years later he began a carpentry apprenticeship. We still have the end table he’s building in this photograph.

He eventually became a high school teacher, but luckily his love for building things didn’t end. Last summer he embarked on a very special project. We call it Lee’s Folly. Here it is in its early stages...

...and here’s how it looks now that it’s finished.



For years I had talked about how wonderful it would be to have a shady place to enjoy the outdoors, and he made that happen for me. I'm so grateful for that every time I sit out there.

From an early age, my son’s creative energy has focused on music. Ordinarily I’d be a bit reluctant to post a photo like this on the Internet, but for a long time it was on his band’s website.

And here’s the band. My son is the left-handed bass player wearing the very cool shades and the old grey Fedora that once belonged to his great grandfather.

Last year he graduated from university with a BFA in Jazz Music, and made the dean’s list. A proud moment for any mom.




I’m so very fortunate to have them in my life, and it’s been fun sharing their talents with you. Now it's your turn. I'd love to hear about the special men in your life.

Until next time,
Lee

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are indeed lucky, Lee, to have two such talented and caring men in your life! I have three men in my life. My husband Lyle, my son Rob and my grandson Braedon.

Sheryll

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Ah, grandchildren! Sheryll, I love the spelling of your grandson's name.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

Lee, you are a fortunate woman to have your two, Joes. And they are lucky to have you!

Love the beautiful white gazebo, with its modern lines. So nice! Can you write out there?

~Caroline

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Lee,
The special man in my life is my husband Wes. His special talent is his sense of humor. He can make me laugh even if I've had a bad day. He also likes to garden. Last night we had fresh green peas, potatoes, cabbage and shallots--or as he calls it--his bounty. I'm looking forward to the summer veggies and blueberries next month!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Jodie Esch said...

I find it intriguing that the two men in your life have maintained their early interests of building things and creating music. Some passions simply grow over time.

How wonderful as well that you can enjoy garden delights!

Jodie Esch
www.jodieesch.com

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Great pictures, Lee--thank you for sharing :-).

Love the folly, of course! What a wonderful space in your own backyard. It must be fun to sit in there when it's raining.

And how fun to be able to listen to your son's band. They've done very well, too, haven't they?

Like the men in your life, the men in mine build things and make music. My husband and son recently finished adding a room onto our son's house. And one of my brothers sings and plays in a band.

Passions? That's easy: golf. One hint: our dogs are named (Arnold) Palmer and (Ben) Hogan.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Yes, Caroline, I do write out there. It's also a great spot to relax and daydream :)

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Mo, I've been told that laughter boost the immune system, so your husband is keeping you happy and healthy!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Jodie, that is so true. I think all true passions develop and grow over time.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Yes, Terry, my son's band has done very well. They even won a contest a couple of years ago.

And I have to say, your dogs' names cracked me up! I'm sure the real Arnold and Ben would be, um, flattered.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hey, Lee, love this post. Great pictures and how nice of them to build that nice shady spot for you. You must be VERY proud. Your son looked like one of the Beatles when he was in the band. Very cool.

My husband and son are also named Joe! Never enough Joes in the world. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]