site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's a Man Thing...

Or maybe it's a generational thing. I'm not sure.

My mother always said my dad was the "strong, silent type." Getting him to talk was akin to pulling teeth. He was a "just the facts, ma'am" kind of person who rarely, if ever, dropped into narrative. His family stories were almost all humorous vignettes, his instructions were short and to the point. He could keep a secret like no one I ever knew. He loved to read, especially mysteries, police proceedurals and later, U. S. News and World Report (go figure), and when he became ill and we knew we were going to lose him, he kept his feelings about that inside, too.

My brother, four years my senior and retired now, is nearly a picture perfect copy of my dad. He's always been a guy who keeps his own council. Loves to read and does his best thinking while he's mowing the yard. My sister is a petite, vivacious woman who loves to be around people and loves to talk, and she's brought him out a lot in the years she's been a part of our family. We have a family reunion coming up and it will be pleasant to see my brother in action with a house full of people to talk to.

What about the men in your life? Are the the strong silent types or Chatty Charlies?

5 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Hi, Karen :-)! Love that "Chatty Charlie" bit--maybe because I'm married to one ;-).

My husband insists he's shy, and he'd probably be slightly offended if I described him as anything but a "strong, silent" type ('cause isn't that manly?). But the truth is, no one who knows him would describe him as shy. He's incredibly easy to talk to and very social.

One thing about him that's typically male is his use of adjectives. He's got one: okay. How do you like this? It's okay. How does this look? Okay. Did you like the movie? It was okay. Sometimes the okay is accompanied by a shrug. Sometimes by a smile or a nod or some extra inflection. But everything--good or bad--is always just okay.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Terry, I like that. Your husband sounds OKAY! :)

I used to tell everyone that my husband was a chatty charlie, but then we would go out and he wouldn't say peep. That's when I realized he only talks when we're alone at home...unless he's had a drink or two, then Charlie Chatty comes out in public. :)

My brother-in-law is the silent type, but lately I've been around him more and whenever he does open his mouth he gets himself in trouble. Now I know why he's quiet. :)

Fun post, Karen!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Karen,
My husband is in between. In a group of people he doesn't know, he's pretty much silent. Once he gets comfortable, he's a Chatty Charlie, known for his wit. I think I fell in love with his sense of humor!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

Karen,
I think my husband has become more Chatty Charlie as he's grown older. He says I've rubbed off on him. The only problem now is he loves to tell the stories that I've already heard at least 6 times.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Most of the men in my life are and have been the strong silent types. My Dad was, my late husband was and the older of my two younger brothers is. My youngest brother however is a chatty Charlie to the max. The man could talk the horns off a billy goat!

His son, however, is another of the strong silent types with a wicked dry sense of humor, very like his uncle (my strong silent brother.)

My late husband was a psychiatrist. He watched people. In most conversations he could be seen listening intently, nodding every now and then. He was always listening which was why he was so good at his job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]