site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Getting there

by Anne Mallory

Sometimes just getting there is the hard part. Whether we are resolute this January, or just carrying on as normal, this month is a hot one for health and fitness clubs everywhere, as well as good intentions galore. We say we are going to run, swim, bike, do aerobics, walk and get in shape physically and mentally. And for a few days or weeks maybe we do. Then the statistics stagger for the number of people that continue the hard fight. But sometimes showing up is half (or more than half) the battle.

I know for me getting to the pool and then jumping in the cold water is the hard part. The actual swimming isn't so bad (well, usually -- we all have our days), and I usually feel great during and after a good workout. But getting to the pool? My brain always forgets that good feeling of working out and instead concentrates on the thousand reasons not to go or countless other things I have to do.

In a similar fashion, when I'm trying to write, sitting down in my chair and opening my Word document is the hard part. Writing (again, usually) isn't so bad. Getting there is.

So for those New Years resolutions...maybe instead of saying that you are going to do XX amount of weights, cardio, swimming, etc., or that you are going to lose XX number of pounds, or that you are going to type XX pages a week, you should try one that says you are just going to show up at the gym, club, exercise video, street, writing chair, XX times a week and then take it from there. Just get there. :)

2 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Anne, this is such great advice. Even if we just write or exercise five minutes a day, it's better than setting such high goals that we end up procrastinating and doing nothing! Like you say, a huge part of success is just showing up!

Jenna

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I totally agree. Of course, I haven't "shown" up at my treadmill today yet. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]