site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, June 09, 2006

Back to Where I Started

Posted by Lee McKenzie

For a while now I’ve had an idea for a children’s mid-grade fantasy rattling around in my head and I can’t let it go. Problem is, I know nothing about writing for children, or about writing fantasy. Of course the same could be said when I started to write romance, and I didn’t let that stop me.

This spring I decided to check out the writing programs being offered at The Banff Centre, which is in Canada so it’s spelled with an -re. Their Writing with Style program this fall has a children’s writing component that provides "a unique opportunity for writers of all levels to participate in a week-long workshop . . . " Only eight participants will be selected, and those lucky individuals will work with award-winning author, Tim Wynne-Jones.

As part of the application process I had to submit the story premise and up to the first twenty pages of the children’s work-in-progress that I plan work on during the workshop, if accepted. Which means I had to actually start writing the book. The application deadline has passed and the submissions are being adjudicated.

The workshop takes place in Banff in the beautiful Canadian Rockies—think Brokeback Mountain with fall colour. I’m needing lots of vibes and crossed fingers, and hoping the adjudicators are able to find some potential in the work of a rank beginner. Or maybe I’m a diamond in the rough? Yes, I definitely like the sound of that.

I should know the results by the end of June, so stay tuned for my July blog . . .

6 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Good luck, Lee. My fingers are crossed for you.

Hey, do these people know you're a Noodler? Shouldn't that be an automatic "in"?

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

It sounds really cool -- both the program and the locale. I want to visit Banff someday. Good luck! I hope you're chosen.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Sending vibes. GOOD LUCK!!!

Theresa

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Karen. Part of the application required a resume, and of course I told them I'm a regular contributor to WNP :)

Trish, you must visit Banff someday. You'll love it. The town of Banff is actually a bit too commercial for my taste, but Banff National Park is incredibly beautiful.

Theresa, thanks for the vibes. Noodlers are the best!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

I've always wanted to visit Banff too. I hope you get it, Lee!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger bridget said...

Go, Lee! How fun! Fingers crossed for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]