site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Best Laid Schemes of Mice and Moms

‘Tis the season, and as I stare down the brightly painted eyes of the four foot tall Nutcracker guarding my fireplace hearth, I realize that the Norman Rockwell moments I plan for the holidays, involving crafting, baking, and entertaining, rarely come to fruition. In a perfect world, my house would be completely decorated, inside and out, by the end of the first weekend in December, which would leave me plenty of time to invite friends over and complete those craft projects hiding in my guest closet. But my Decembers aren’t perfect. What usually happens? I’m filling stockings Christmas Eve and wondering where December and all my good intentions went.

Last year, I bought supplies to make a nice wooden sign proclaiming “Merry Christmas,” only I went too late to the craft store and all the c’s, s’s, r’s, and t’s were gone. Luckily, I grew up in Louisiana and decided I could say it in French instead, so I ended up with letters for “Joyeaux Noel.” Have I assembled and painted that sign yet? In a word, no. With visions of a gingerbread village dancing in my head, I also purchased clay polymer houses and trims. I pictured my daughter and me building our village and placing it on a blanket of glittery batting on the dining room buffet. We did attempt one house, but the glue wouldn’t hold, and the village components are still sitting in a big plastic bag in my guest closet. My baking goal was accomplished by donning plastic gloves and a silk scarf to cover my nose and mouth so as to prevent passing along the Christmas cold I seem to get every year.

I swear this year will be different. I got the cold/flu out of the way at Thanksgiving, so fate wouldn’t be cruel enough to visit another illness upon me for Christmas. Right? And it’s not even December yet. I have plenty of time to decorate inside and out, bake sugar cookies, finish those craft projects, and watch all of my favorite holiday movies (Read the December Wet Noodle Posse e-zine and find out each posse member’s favorite holiday movie!).

May your holiday plans for this year bring you only promised joy. May nothing go awry.

4 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you on your holiday preparations! I agree completely, somehow, even though Christmas falls on the same day every year, I find myself scrambling at the last minute to take care of things I've forgotten, and I never finish all I intended to do!
Here's to a more productive year for all of us!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It's Christmas? Holy St. Nick. Why didn't somebody tell me?

I'm a holiday procrastinator, too. I can't wrap anything until Christmas Eve because I have a ribbon-eating cat. I don't bake early because I'm afraid I'll eat up all the goodies. I hate shopping crowds, so I do all that in one fell swoop (can you hear my credit cards screaming "ouch"!!!)

My favorite part of Christmas is that moment when everything is under the tree, the house smells like a home...just before the kids dive in. Then look out--pandemonium.

Merry Christmas to all!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger bridget said...

bwahahahaha on the missing "C"'s "T"s and other Christmas letters for your craft project! Loved your post!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Brianne, Karen, and Bridget. I am glad to know other people procrastinate like me!
Here's the update. My outdoor decorations are almost finished. I need one more strand of lights on my Japanese magnolia (but it has to be a certain kind of light set that every 5th minilight twinkles, so I haven't found them at Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart, or Lowe's. If I could just remember where I bought them last year). I also need a short three-prong extension cord because somehow this year the extension cord from last year is three feet too short. The tree branches are separated into their alphabet piles in the living room and are ready for assembly. The tree may be put together today. Not sure if the lights will go on. It's a nine foot fake blue spruce that is almost too big for my foyer. As I like to say, my eyes were bigger than my foyer! I have not tested the tree lights yet. At least one strand from last year will need a fuse change; it's a given. I purchased two presents yesterday, but they are not wrapped. The stockings are hung on the mantel. The mantel is decorated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]