site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Making dreams come true

I'm a big fan of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. There isn't an episode during which I don't tear up listening to the trials each family has gone through and how the beautiful new home they're receiving is giving them a much-needed break and hope for a brighter future. I've heard a few critics of the show say things like they shouldn't spend so much on each house so they could do more modest homes but a greater number of them. Well, here's the thing, would the show have the ratings it does and ABC continue to be able to build homes if they built 10 average Joe houses each episode? I don't think so. This show is about what seems like an unattainable dream. The smiles and tears on the families' faces are priceless. I don't know any of the recipients, but I'm truly happy for each of them.

This month's Wet Noodle Posse e-zine pays tribute to a young SuperHeroine, Chelsea Korzenko. Chelsea took part in one of the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition builds. The new home in rural Georgia was for her friend Missy and her family. Like all the families ABC helps, the family had been through some truly tough times -- the loss of a son to a car wreck and the loss of their home to fire. Be sure to read about how Chelsea and her friends came together to help build Missy and her family a dream home designed by the brother Missy lost. I'm guessing your eyes won't be dry when you're finished, but your heart will be lifted. Then share a comment here. Are you a fan of the show? Which one(s) stand out in your memory the most?

3 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Trish, I love that show! I always tear up too. I also like that they really out do themselves with every project. It makes it even more of a fantasy come true. Any show that helps people in need is a great show.

I'm off to read the superheroine article.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that show, too! The people who think they should help more people and build more modest houses are probably the same people who think Oprah should built a less extravagant school in South Africa and helped more girls. *sigh* Honestly, you have to draw the line SOMEWHERE, so why not give credit where credit is due?

Besides, I like seeing the snazzy new houses. :)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger bridget said...

Trish, it's a great show. My mother teaches in South Central LA and the family of one of the kids in her class was in big trouble--the parents were dead and a lot of kids were being raised by their older brother, if I remember correctly--the Department of Social Services was going to take the kids away if the house didn't get fixed up, and there was no money to do it of course.

In came the home makeover people and not only made a wonderful home--they saved the family! There's a special place in my heart for the people who make that show!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]