site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Get out the Vote

Hardly anyone is unaware that election day is only two days away. Many people in states that allow early voting have already made up their minds about the candidates and cast their ballots. Lots of absentee ballots are making their way through the postal service system even as we speak.

I still vote on election day. I like going to the polls, seeing my neighbors, visiting with the volunteers, watching democracy in action. Plus, they give me a little sticker to put on my shirt. Then I can go to work and feel superior all day because I feel as though I have a handle on what America’s all about.

I’ve found an interesting correlation this year between negative ads and how opposed I am to the policies of those politicians who run them. If I hear that snotty woman saying "Oh, Really?" on the anti-Alex Sink (candidate for Florida CFO) ad one more time, I’m going to throw something at the TV. I don’t have a lot of free time and it irritates me to have to spend so much of it researching what people say as opposed to what they do. Wouldn’t it be easier for politicians to tell the truth, rather than to waste my time (and therefore annoy me even further)?

Telling the truth. Think about that. Would our country be struggling through some of the issues and difficulties it is now if politicians (and the rest of us) would just tell the truth? Wouldn’t it we better if we voted for a candidate we believed in, as opposed to voting against some unknown we fear?

Freedom isn’t free. You’ve got to want it bad, and be willing to do your part. The first step is voting.

Hey, you can do it. I believe in you.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Theresa N. said...

I'll second that!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Thanks for the reminder, Karen! You are so right!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Amen! Seems they are absolutely unable to utter the truth though. I loathe negative campaigning, but it seems everyone is stuck in the cycle. Even if a candidate tries not to go that route, you can be assured his opponent will, and then he'll have to defend himself and step into that murky pool of negative ads himself.

We have one of the most hotly contested Senate races in the country here, and the ads are beginning to drive me bonkers. I just hope I'm not depressed Wednesday morning by the results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]