site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

International Women's Day

I received a promotional cd recently. "Putumayo Presents Women Of The World Acoustic."

It was compiled in recognition of International Women's Day, March 8th. This led me to scratch my head and wonder what the heck International Women's Day was. Here's what I learned:

A Women's Day was first celebrated in the United States in 1909. A quick Google to Wikipedia tells me:

"It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women. Among other relevant historic events, it commemorates the Triangle Factory Fire (New York, 1911), where over 140 women lost their lives."

A full history of the tradition is here:

http://www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/women/womday97.htm

where it states: "International Women's Day is the story of ordinary women as makers of history; it is rooted in the centuries-old struggle of women to participate in society on an equal footing with men."

Wow. And it's been going on for almost a hundred years!

Actually, when I think about it, a hundred years seems a bit tragic. I mean, what happened to women before there was a day designated each year to looking at their struggles and triumphs?

And what happens today in countries where women's struggles and triumphs aren't even recognized once a year?

I always feel a bit helpless when I start contemplating what women are going thru in undeveloped countries--or my own, for that matter. But I feel like I'm just some ordinary woman living in tiny-town Canada. I'm not in a position to effect change.

However, that's not true. I received this cd, which is wonderful, by the way. It's a compilation of female vocalists from around the world, backed up by guitar and other strings. Only two cuts are in English and they're all mellow and perfect.

So I'm sitting here listening to it while I Blog and contemplate women and struggles and triumphs. I likely wouldn't have even looked up International Women's Day if this cd hadn't happened into my mailbox. I wouldn't have read that bit about "ordinary women as makers of history." Not that I think I'm making history here, but this ordinary woman is now inspired to make a small contribution by passing along the message that International Women's Day is important.

Women need help all over the world. They need help in our own communities. Sometimes *we* need help.

On March 8th, take a moment to reflect on a woman who has mentored you. Celebrate your own achievements that may not have been available to a woman a hundred years ago. Take a moment to feel the joy of being a woman and what you offer the world, even if it's simply your unique perspective.

And if you're in a mood to pamper yourself while making a contribution, check out the Putumayo cd. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Global Fund for Women in support of their efforts to promote and defend the human rights of women and girls around the world. www.putumayo.com

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Anne Mallory said...

Thanks, Dani! And the CD sounds great!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Dani, this is a wonderful post. You inspired me already! You can make a difference. We all can. I like to focus on all that women have done and how far we've come. Keep spreading the word!

Theresa

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Go, Dani. We all need to reach out to each other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]