site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oh Happy Day

It's a beautiful day today. The sun is shining. There's a mild breeze. The sky is airbrushed with wispy clouds. Or so it all was when I drove to work this morning. Since arriving around 9, I've been holed up in my closet-of-a-windowless office.

However, it's nearing lunch time, and guess what I plan to do.

I'm headed outside to enjoy my salad and diet coke. And while I may be dressed in work clothes and the clock may be ticking away my lunch break, inside my mind, I'll be a million other places.

I'll drift off to that beautiful beach in the Bahamas. The sound of the waves soothing my soul. The feel of warm sand streaming through my fingers.

I'll venture to a karaoke club with my family. There's my dad and my girls picking out their songs. My hubby enjoying his drink. My mom smiling at us all. The music will play. We'll get up and dance. We'll laugh together.

I'll return to the Reno Hilton, site of last year's RWA conference, to enjoy a margarita and tasty mexican food with my sister Posse members. Can you say, great photo op?

Maybe I'll be back in Forest Park enjoying a delicious picnic with my husband and kids, waiting for the start of "Julius Ceasar" during St. Louis's annual Shakespeare in the Park. The sky darkens, the stage lights flicker to life. My youngest snuggles on my lap. I can't decide whether I want another glass of wine or another chocolate chunk cookie. Decisions, decisions. What the heck, I'll have both. :-)

Or maybe I'll be running. Sweat streaming down my face. My three girls and a good friend of mine alongside me. We're engulfed by the rest of the 63,000 plus people taking part in the Race for the Cure this past Saturday. The crowd is energized and ready to go. I raced in memory of a high school girlfriend who died much too young. I raced with my girls, hoping they realized that yes, we can make a difference. I raced because I've been blessed with the ability to do so.

Wherever you are... sitting in an office, alone at your desk, watching the kids play in the back yard. Take a moment to recall a happy time, a fun, cherished memory. Take a moment to smile, and consider the possibilities, the memories you're still going to make, and how much fun it'll be to look back on those, too.

Cheers!

Pris

5 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Pris, I sometimes envy people who work at "real" jobs (i.e. a job with an actual paycheck involved, in the peace and quiet of an office) but your post helped me remember what it actually felt like to be cooped up in a cubicle on days I wanted to be outside. Even in all the craziness of my messy house and "no-paycheck" guilt, at least I get to take my baby to the park today and feel the breeze. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful about that.

And thanks for the wonderful escapist images. I sure wish we could all go out for that Mexican food right now! (Maybe on a gorgeous Caribbean beach?)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Jenna makes good points. I probably work just as much or more now, but I'm fortunate that most of the time if I want to sit on the front porch and do the work, I can.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Hey Jenna, here's to a Posse and friends get-together somewhere on a gorgeous beach! Good friends, good food and frozen drinks with little umbrellas (non-alcolic, too)!

I hope you had fun at the park, and that you, Trish, had a chance to work outside on your porch.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Oh, Pris, how beautiful. You manage to take me to all those places with you. And I'm so proud of you for racing in such a good cause. Thanks for an inspirational post!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Pris, at the time you posted yesterday, the concrete truck had just arrived, it was 98 degrees, and I was dyin'. I would have given anything for a job in an airconditioned office, windowless or not!

I think I'm going to go job hunting tomorrow. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]