site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Today in the United States it is Flag Day. It's a day set aside to honor the flag that represents our country. You can go to this link to learn more about the history of the United States flag and this day.

http://www.usflag.org/more2.html

Since it's flag day, I'm going to put on my patriotic hat. I love the USA. What a great country! When I see the flag and sing our national anthem, tears often come to my eyes. I'm truly troubled by people who denigrate my country, saying it is evil. I just want to tell them to go live somewhere else if they think the USA is so awful. I wonder if these people consider the fact that if we shipped them off to Cuba, they could find themselves in prison if they were so bold as to criticize the Cuban government.

No country is perfect, but the USA has so much to offer. Why do people risk their lives to come here? Why do hundreds of people come here illegally every day? (And we won't get into the argument over illegal immigrants.) They know this country is a wonderful place to live, full of opportunities that they didn't have where they came from. And I'm more grateful than I can ever explain that I was born in the USA.

I'm an American child. If you've ever heard the song Phil Vassar sings entitled "An American Child," you'll understand what I mean. The line in the song about dreams being born inside an American child speaks right to me. I wasn't born into wealth or privilege, but I was born in the USA where I could pursue my dreams. I had a dream to be a published author. I've realized that dream. I really believe there are opportunities for anyone who has the willingness to work and sacrifice to make his or her dreams come true.

In some circles it's not politically correct to be patriotic. But I'm going to stand up today and say I'm proud to be an American.
Merrillee

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Merrillee,

I'm standing with you. That'll be me, waving the flag on the 4th of July.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Great post, Merrillee,
I too feel I was "born" American on the inside. Growing up on Army posts we could always hear reveille in the morning and went to sleep hearing taps. When the flag was raised or lowered, you stopped and faced the flag, hand over heart. If you were in the car, you stopped and got out. One of the houses in which we lived, was right next to the parade grounds so parades and soldiers drilling was common. Duty was alway important.
I think this is why I love my Regency heroes to be former soldiers. I'd love to write a Napoleonic War story.
Tomorrow I'm visiting one of the army posts where I lived during high school. (I'm attending my high school reunion this weekend). Whenever I'm on any Army post I feel like I'm coming home.
Diane
Diane

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Hey Merrillee, I'm a day behind in commenting, but I just couldn't let the opportunity to send cyber hugs to you! I love your post.

Yes, our country isn't perfect, but it is what it is... the land where all dreams are possible.

Thanks for taking the time to remind us all how blessed we are to call ourselves American citizens!

Pris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]