site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, March 09, 2007

Friends Helping Friends

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about friendship, and about the kinds of things friends do for one another and expect from one another.

A very dear friend of mine was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She and I belong to a close-knit group of writers, and everyone in the group has rallied around to support her in whatever way they can—providing transportation and accommodation when she has to travel to the city, and accompanying her to appointments and medical treatments. My friend finds this quite overwhelming. She told me that she’d do exactly the same thing for anyone else but would never ask for it or expect it from others.

When I thought about what she said, I realized I feel the same way, even though there’s no logical explanation for it. Why soldier through a terrible ordeal alone when I can surround myself with the love and support of my very dear friends? I believe that somewhere in the answer to that question lies the true meaning of friendship, and that perhaps we don’t have to ask our friends for help because in our hearts we know they’ll be there when we need them.

Lee

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've expressed this perfectly, Lee. I have felt the same way as both you and your friend, and I think you're absolutely right.

When we need help, we can just close our eyes, let ourselves go, and be certain our friends will hold us up.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Lee, I have a friend who just recently finished her last round of radiation and she is free of cancer! She's a survivor. Good luck to your friend. My thoughts are with her. And good for you and everyone else for giving her a helping hand when she needs it most!

And to all the other women out there, make your mammogram appointments today because diagnosing breast cancer early saves lives. My appointment is March 26th!

Theresa

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Meretta said...

"A friend is someone who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart."
- Kathleen Grove

Lee, it sounds like your friend has realized just how special she is to all her friends.

(((Along with hugs, I'm sending her my very best wishes for a complete recovery)))

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, you have expressed this perfectly. As always. And I am blessed to have the best friends in the world, both geographically close to me, and in cyberspace. :) Thank you.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Lee, you put your finger on something so important. I'm sending healing vibes to your dear friend. I know several women who had breast cancer and are with us today, cancer free and happy. I read a study once that showed the cancer patients who had strong support networks at home almost always had better outcomes than those who had no one to rely on for comfort and love. So you are *very* important!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]